We spent the last week of June 2019 with Shan as our driver and guide.
1 night Negombo > 2 nights Sigiriya > 1 night Kandy > 1 night Nuwaraeliya > 2 nights Ella > 2 nights Colombo
We arranged our own accommodation and itinerary (Shan takes care of his own accommodation) but he also does full trip planning if you prefer. No hidden costs to the quote provided.
Why we recommend Shan:
– New, clean and comfortable car (the hybrid you see on his profile is what you get). Good air conditioning and bluetooth to play music.
– His driving is TOP NOTCH. Before coming to Sri Lanka people had told us that we should not be afraid to tell our driver to slow down. No need with Shan. Not only is he the safest driver and takes no risks, he is also great manouvreing in tight roads and spaces, including all the way up to Lipton’s Seat!
– He makes the trip effortless. We arranged our own accommodation and itinerary which due to the late nature of our booking I shared with Shan only a week before our arrival. Within 2 days he responded with proposals of things to see/do and best routes. We chose to do some things (elephant safari and white water rafting both ended up being highlights for us that we would otherwise not have considered) and skip others depending on our interests and how much we wanted to do each day (or sleep in hehe!). He also suggested and reserved train tickets for the famed Nuwaraeliya > Ella journey for us in advance.
– He can act as a tour guide and explains the specifics of each site / area as you are visiting, including food, industry and culture. We really appreciated this as it meant we didn’t need to hire local guides anywhere. Shan also handled the purchasing of all tickets / entries to make sure we weren’t getting ripped off.
– Whether you are a group or solo traveller, Shan is your man to make sure you are getting the instagram shots and spots (check out #amazingsunshineholidays). This ended up being an unexpected benefit for me as my boyfriend is afraid of heights and Shan captured all these great shots of me on top of Pidurangala rock / Nine Arch Bridge.
– He is an all-round humble and great guy who you can rely on completely, which sounds minor but when you are spending 3-5+ hours in close confines with someone, it is really important. He gave us personal space during meal times and in the car and was never intrusive. The care Shan took to make sure we were always safe, comfortable and eating at clean places (he would check toilets before giving me the go ahead!) was exceptional. He has excellent English, so misunderstandings are rare, and best of all a great sense of humour.
In conclusion, there are many drivers out there but Shan exceeded our expectations and we would not hesitate to recommend him to family and friends. Sri Lanka is a beautiful country but Shan’s guidance definitely enhanced our experience. When we will return to see the rest of it we will do it with Shan (if he is not booked!).